Thursday, October 3, 2013

in the blink of an eye

Moms of really little kids don't like to hear "if you blink, you'll miss it."  And  "these years pass so fast, enjoy them!"  Those sentiments to a mom, with crusty spit up on her shoulder, a toddler screaming on her leg and her arms full of baby, might not be received in the manner you're intending.   The days when you have little ones can seem long.

But I can't help it, I really have to tell you those days do pass in the blink of an eye.

My Bailey turns 10 tonight.  I remember my labor, her delivery...it was a long day and a half.  I didn't get to see her be born bc they had to put me under, and when I came to I remember desperately trying to pretend I didn't feel like I was about to pass out again.  I wanted to hold her and never let go.  Ever ever.

And I still don't.  I don't want to let go.

I desperately wanted a girl.  I joke that God said "alright already!" and signed me up for 2.  There is no bigger joy in my life than being a mom.  Sometimes I think about how I really glean too much joy from it, because of how much I fear them leaving.  I have empty nest issues years before having an empty nest.

Bailey made me a mother, and she has taught me more than I have taught her.  I love her so intensely it scares me.

I blinked and she turned 10.

I'm praying her next 10 years are as healthy and full of joy as her last 10 have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment