Wednesday, May 16, 2012

favorite moments

I would venture to say that most moms have some moments in their life as moms that are their favorites.  These are some of mine.

When they are sleeping.

Okay, I have more...let me think.  Um....

Uh....

No, I'm just kidding.  But that is towards the top of the list.  Not just because while they are in dreamland there is no fighting, whining, begging, making a mess, making me crazy.  But because they look young to me in their beds ensconced in their lovies and princess blankets, and I can fool myself into thinking that they are still little girls.  They are going on 9 and 7 years old this year, and that is too close to 10.  10 sounds old to me....I know when they are 20, 10 will seem young and innocent.  But from where I am sitting, ages 2 and 4 seems like just yesterday, and yet it seems so young.  At 2 and 4 their days were filled with Dora and Elmo, art projects, toddler books and taking a bath for the 3rd time that day, because all they wanted to do was be in water and since they were contained and happy in the tub, sure, take another bath.  They still thought I hung the moon at 2 and 4, and cried at the window when I left to go anywhere, even though we had been connected at the hip all day.  They ate Cheerios and Goldfish for a snack and when they painted - which they loved - I had to strip them down to their unders because surely the paint would get everywhere.  They played with pots, pans and stacked tupperware at my feet while I made dinner.  Taylor required no less than 11 lullabies at night to calm down and stay in her bed, Bailey started drifting off after only 2 or 3.  They were little.

Now they are big.  But I'm not complaining, just remembering.  Because they are older now, we have a lot of fun and life is certainly easier.

I digress.  Some more favorite moments.

Going swimming.

Watching them figure out how to do something new, and seeing the pride and joy in their eyes for it.

Making cookies together.

Watching them play softball, they are so cute in their oversized team shirts.  They look over at us and smile with missing teeth as they run the bases, and sometimes my little one will blow a kiss and it just makes me melt.

Watching them onstage when they sing for choir concerts at church or on Sunday morning.

Listening to them play together - when they're not fighting.

Seeing them hold hands, or protect each other.

Listening to them talk about their faith, and what it means to them.

Witnessing the people they are starting to become - tender, empathetic, strong girls who truly know how to love others.

These are just a few.  I have to stop now, because Tatie is up and she doesn't like the sound of the keyboard clicking as I type.

No comments:

Post a Comment