Wednesday, February 15, 2012

sick mommy

The last few days I haven't felt 100% myself.  I can always tell when something's not right when I don't drink my beloved cup of joe in the morning.  When I'm sick, just the thought of it makes my stomach churn.

Last night, I really hit a wall.  Thankfully, Kevin and I had celebrated Valentine's the evening before, because the only thing we had really planned together - watching Parenthood, our fave show - I fell asleep 10 minutes in.  I usually don't go to sleep until midnight-ish.  I woke in the middle of the night, stomach sick for a few hours.   Today I felt so flu-ish, and I slept on and off the entire day.

Several times, I wondered how I made it through all of the times I was home with 2 little ones to care for, while feeling like a bus ran me over.  Kevin is in sales, so time is money, and I only remember one day in the past 8 years that he took off a day from work to help me bc I was sick.  I remember that day, because it was the one time ever he packed the girls their snacks for pre-k and he switched their bags by accident and Tate STILL remembers it.  I'm not kidding.  Thankfully, a few other times my mom came over to help me - and she'd usually catch whatever I was sick with, which of course I usually caught from the kids.  You can wash your hands until they bleed, but when you have sick kids coughing and sneezing in your face or vomiting as you try to catch it in your hands...you will probably catch it.  Anyway, I loved having my mom take care of me...she would rub my back and sing me lullies, make me soup, even try to have the girls stay away from me and be quiet around my room (to which the girls would cry more, but she tried!)

So today, I remembered those days and I was so grateful that Kevin could help the girls get ready, do B's treatment and put them on the bus this morning (I hobbled out to pack their bookbags - the man can only take so much).  I took a hot bath and stayed in bed until 30 minutes before they got home.  They are out of the home for 7 hours - a length of time that some days makes me feel sad...but today I felt nothing but thankful.  I was supposed to work today but I was covered there too, so I could truly rest today, not worry that I was letting anyone down.

There's pluses and minuses I think, to my kids getting older.  Today was one big fat plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment