Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Real friends

Today I had the pleasure of being invited over a friend's house for a swim playdate, along with a few other friends and their kids.  I went for a few reasons - 1.  I love to spend my afternoons in a pool with mom-friends.  Who wouldn't?  2.  My kids need the socialization in the summer...both of 'em.  3.  The last time we were in this particular pool, a few days ago, Tatie was stung in the head by a bee...so I didn't want her to be scared to go back and I thought if it was too far in between, she would be.

Earlier this week, my kids and I went to our community pool.  I felt out of place, and the kids that were there didn't seem to want to play with my kids - they had other friends there that they just wanted to be with.  It just left a bad feeling in my mouth, I don't know.  Anyway, at our community pool, I was happy to leave.  

Today, I didn't want to leave.  In fact, it took my kid screaming for the millionth time for me to finally pull myself out of the water to get ready to leave.  It wasn't just that I didn't have to suck in my gut, strutting around in my suit.  It wasn't that us mom-friends have several years now of knowing each other under our belts, lots of stories and memories.  It wasn't even the faith that we share.  It wasn't that the kids -while they sometimes bicker and get mad at each other - seem to enjoy playing together.

It was being wanted.  Wanted.  Isn't that one of the best feelings in the world?  Oh and we can't forget accepted.  Tatie was in form...growling, being fresh, crying, screaming...and no one batted an eye.  They just said, as we peered from the pool to the trampoline where we could hear crying, "Oh it's yours again Brynn..."

I guess it was just a stark difference from yesterday to today.  I'm thankful.  I have several REAL friends in my life, I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment