Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What do you worship?

Throughout this past year I have been reading from the devotional book Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.   I love this devotional and highly recommend it.  It is great for a mom who does not have much time and this past year several of our MOPS moms went ahead and either received it as a gift from Mentor Moms or bought it.  Highly recommend.

Anyway, the reading for July 11 - because I'm late like that  - was this:

Worship Me Only.  Idolatry has always been the downfall of My people.  I make no secrets about being a jealous God.   Current idols are more subtle that ancient ones, because today's false gods are often outside the field of religion.  People, possessions, status, and self-aggrandizement are some of the popular deities today.  Beware of bowing down before these things.  False gods never satisfy; instead they stir up lust for more and more.  


When you seek Me instead of the world's idols, you experience My Joy and Peace.  These intangibles slake the thirst of your soul, providing deep satisfaction.  The glitter of the world is tinny and temporal.  The Light of My Presence is brilliant and everlasting.  Walk in the Light with Me.  Thus you become a beacon through whom others are drawn to Me.  

Her Scripture references are Exodus 20:4-5 and 2 Samuel 22:29

Wow.  Wow this hit me!!!  I DO worship my God and King.  I am a follower and lover of my Lord Jesus.  BUT I worship things!  People!  Feelings!

For instance, we have been trying to do a few home improvements each year.  I can not walk in a home improvement store - and really, into many peoples homes - without idolizing.  Kitchens, bathrooms, "outdoor living rooms"...space!!   This past year, we have been trying to make a dent on making over our yard.  We had some pine trees taken out, the backyard really cleaned up and in the front added some river rock and actual grass.  It hasn't grown in as lush as I was hoping, but what a difference from the treed dirt and sand patch we used to have!  But guess what - Young's words "False gods never satisfy; instead they stir up lust for more and more..." whoa.  I have been walking around the neighborhood and lusting over lush grass and beautiful landscaping...hydrangeas, japanese maples, nice fences!  I want it all.  So you see, I had something but wanted MORE.  I was grateful for what I had, but I wasn't satisfied.

How many daydreams have I had filled with taller ceilings, granite counter tops and new cupboards, and let's not forget hardwood flooring.   I could go on and on; I have written about my home lust before. What empty daydreams.  I am not saying it is wrong to do home improvements, not at all.  But when I lust over such things, and want more and more, that is worshipping things and not having my sight set on God.

It will be hard to tear myself away from backsplashes and moldings.  It hurts a bit to write that, but it's true.  I am going to consciously choose to think of different things, to think of things I know will bless me and my family.  Spend more time in prayer, more time in gratitude for what I have.  Instead of being in a friend's home and lovingly gazing at her ceiling high kitchen cupboards that aren't made out of particle board, I want to lovingly gaze at my friend.  Enjoy my time in her home, and be thankful to return to mine.  God has heaped blessings upon us in this house.  In my kitchen I may have to balance a few drawers on my knee so they don't fall out, but by my leg I have 2 precious girls wanting to help me cook, and dancing with me to the music playing.

I have renewed focus today.

Thank you God, for showing me what my eyes were set upon.  I want my eyes, my heart, my words, thoughts and my actions to be set on You, Lord God.  I want to walk in your Light, and have others see Your Light through me.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment