Monday, April 11, 2011

Mommy Monday - Bailey's softball scene

I am officially a softball mom, and I really like it more than I thought I would.  Granted, she has only had 2 practices and games, but I like it so far.  It helps that it has not yet rained on my head and the temp has been cool.  This is our first experience with a team sport, the girls have only done swimming.  I don't know if Taylor will want to participate when she's old enough, but Bailey is loving it and so am I.

I think I like it so much because I love watching Bailey interact with the other kids.  She wants her team to win - if you can call a kindergarten/1st grade team winning - but she also cheers on the other team.  She says things like "way to go, girls!" and I think it's just precious.  She also looks downright adorable in her uniform and visor.

The coaches are wonderful - so encouraging and gentle.  Not knowing what to expect from the coaches and other parents watching from the sidelines, I have been really impressed with what a positive experience it is so far.

Nobody on Bailey's team would know she has CF, she can keep up with all the kids just fine.  I am hopeful that her swimming and now the softball - not to mention just being active every day - will strengthen her lungs as she grows.  There have been studies that show sports really help CFers ward off lung disease, although exercise is hard for a lot of them because of their decreased lung function.  It's hard for them endurance wise, and competitively, I would imagine it's very frustrating.  We have talked about trying to encourage Bailey with diving, because it's something she already does well and loves, and she wouldn't have to be measured against her peers using a lot of lung strength.  But for now, she is loving softball and I am loving watching her!

No comments:

Post a Comment